搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 讀國際幼稚園畢業能否追得上本地小學
發新帖
查看: 4066|回覆: 13
go

讀國際幼稚園畢業能否追得上本地小學 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-10-30 12:00 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
我想請教家長:  讀國際幼稚園,是否本地小學 (就算本地英文小學) 都不收?  因我剛問X本地小學, 它說要有一定中文程度才可,還說國際幼稚園生可能不適應本地教育模式。
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 10-10-30 22:28 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

3#
發表於 10-10-31 08:39 |只看該作者
I think it depends on the chinese level of your kid, if cantonese is mother tongue, only reading and writing need to catch up.  I have a friend's daughter studied RCHK for Y1 then changed to Maryknoll for P1, just the beginning need to practise chinese more, after half year already settled down.

But I agree most of the traditional DSS not really like to choose kids from int'l kinder.

原帖由 KY_Lo 於 10-10-30 12:00 發表
我想請教家長:  讀國際幼稚園,是否本地小學 (就算本地英文小學) 都不收?  因我剛問X本地小學, 它說要有一定中文程度才可,還說國際幼稚園生可能不適應本地教育模式。 ...

4#
發表於 10-11-1 10:45 |只看該作者
Maryknoll takes students from central lottery so technically speaking, they have to take students assigned to them. I know that a lot of parents would put their children in ESF for one year switch them to local P1 by way of lottery. Since DSS or private schools have total control of what students they get, I believe they would rather not take students from international schools.

Most local primary school have very aggressive curriculum; not only the elite schools but also the "ordinary schools" because of the demand from parents. So, I believe it would mean a lot of hard work for the child if he changes from an international school to a local school for P1.

One more thing to clarify, ESF kindergarten only provide 2 years of kindergarten education (K1 and K2). Children at ESF go to P1 at the age of 5. You cannot go to local P1 at this age. You need to either go to ESF for one year of primary school or go to local kindergarten for one year of K3.

5#
發表於 10-11-1 11:36 |只看該作者
If your ultimate target is local primary schools, what's the point of putting your kid in an international kindergarten?

6#
發表於 10-11-4 15:10 |只看該作者
我不重視學術,只重視雙語發展,就是這樣:   在家說中文,在外說英文, 就好像已移民去外國, 但要學好英文(包括文化),怎可能在香港人多的學校。我只會選國際學校, 但討論區的國際學校(小學、中學)許多已是80%為香港人的’國際學校’, 學生同DSS無太大分別, 只是課程不同, 不如讀本地算。 但幼稚園,重有50-50的真國際學校。

7#
發表於 10-11-6 16:52 |只看該作者
原帖由 KY_Lo 於 10-11-4 15:10 發表
我不重視學術,只重視雙語發展,就是這樣:   在家說中文,在外說英文, 就好像已移民去外國, 但要學好英文(包括文化),怎可能在香港人多的學校。我只會選國際學校, 但討論區的國際學校(小學、中學)許多已是80%為香港人的’國際學 ...

what do u expect your kid learning "cultures" from your kid's K1/K2 buddies in a real international kindergarten?
i guess only a few can benefit from studying in an IS kindergarten and then local primary. Hope u are one of those.

8#
發表於 10-11-10 13:54 |只看該作者
I think it is no longer a matter of whether the children from international schools can catch up with local schools' standard, in the first place whether they would even be considered or admitted is an issue.

I fully agreed that government aided schools like Maryknoll have no control over what students (from local or int'l streams) would enter their schools, due to the "lucky draw" system.  

However, for DSS schools, please correct me if you heard of something different, I have not heard even a single case so far where children from a real international school had been admitted. (not talking about schools like St. Cat etc. which are indeed still local kindergartens)

My daugther switched from a local KG to an international KG after K2 this year and is now in Pre-grade 1.  We applied 3 DSS and all failed.  While one can say that maybe her interview performance was not outstanding enough, she told me that at St Paul Co-ed, she got all the answers correct (they had to play 3 games) with the Headmistress who even gave her a compliment of doing very very well, still she did not even have a chance for 2nd interview...

Back to the original discussion, students from int'l kindergartens would need to catch up hard on their Chinese standard - as most of them seemed to have problems recognizing, not to mention writing, Chinese words...

9#
發表於 10-11-10 18:23 |只看該作者
原帖由 nataliepsc 於 10-11-10 13:54 發表
I think it is no longer a matter of whether the children from international schools can catch up with local schools' standard, in the first place whether they would even be considered or admitted is a ...

I know three students who studied in real international school before who have admitted to the local private/dss school- scared heart canossian school (private section), GT college in TKO and PLKCKY. Not just as they can speak fluent English, but they are really so smart and well-behaved!

[ 本帖最後由 SaBB 於 10-11-10 18:24 編輯 ]
成功的人放眼於機會,失敗的人放眼於障礙。 生命長短我無法控制,但內容就可以由我發揮!

10#
發表於 10-11-10 23:16 |只看該作者
DBS too

原帖由 SaBB 於 10-11-10 18:23 發表

I know three students who studied in real international school before who have admitted to the local private/dss school- scared heart canossian school (private section), GT college in TKO and PLKCKY ...

11#
發表於 10-11-11 23:31 |只看該作者
my daugther is studying in an international school.  actually, her chinese is not bad but learnt chinese in putonghua and get used to speak english & putonghua only in her lessons. however, it is useless for those cantonese interviews. comparing with the local school students, international school students are is too active. she was failed in most of the P1 interviews although she could even repeat all the questions and tell me all her answers after the interviews. she is smart and got a lot of awards (sports and speech) and examination distinctions (English). however, this kind of P1 DSS / private school interviews which require demonstration of good discipline and good cantonese presentation only make her fail. or,may be she is too happy with the existing international school environment and really do not want to enter those demanding schools with 40+ students in a class. however, the international school syllabus in chinese and english are too easy.

原帖由 nataliepsc 於 10-11-10 13:54 發表
I think it is no longer a matter of whether the children from international schools can catch up with local schools' standard, in the first place whether they would even be considered or admitted is a ...

12#
發表於 10-11-12 08:06 |只看該作者
原帖由 mozartmom 於 10-11-11 23:31 發表
.the international school syllabus in chinese and english are too easy...

I am afraid that I cannot agree to this.  Local schools teach students a lot of things without going into the reasons behind them.  International schools focus on the depth of the knowledge.  International schools teach numbers 1-20 which obviously look simple to almost all the local parents.  However, if you look at what they mean by learning number 1-20, you will be amazed.  By knowing number 1-20, you will need know how to count forward / backward, the relationship between the numbers (the number before is one less and the number after is one more - the basic of addition and substration), how to do skip counting (which is essentially the multiplication).  International schools teach the students "what they are doing" and "why they are doing that"

If you are looking at the Chinese level, of course, it is not comparable.  

I agree that traditional schools may not like this kind of students, as they will ask too many questions that the local teachers cannot handle.  However, what you want your child to be like - someone sitting there listening or someone who will think about what he/she is doing.  You have your choice.

Back to the original post, some international schools do have a very high percentage of local Chinese.  However, this does not mean that there is no non-Chinese.  Also, culture is about your values and how you were brought up.  Chinese from Taiwan, Mainland China, Hong Kong and overseas have different culture although there may be a lot of similarities.  Not to mention that there are non-Chinese Asian, and some non-Asian.  There is always a mixture of cultures in internaitonal schools although you may not see as many "white faces" as you wanted.

13#
發表於 10-11-12 09:31 |只看該作者
Tamm, I totally agree with you !  

原帖由 tamm 於 10-11-12 08:06 發表

I am afraid that I cannot agree to this.  Local schools teach students a lot of things without going into the reasons behind them.  International schools focus on the depth of the knowledge.  Inter ...

14#
發表於 10-11-12 10:21 |只看該作者
Can't agree more with tamn.  

<學生同DSS無太大分別, 只是課程不同>
I am afraid I don't share your view.
If you think the decision between local and international schools is merely a choice of teaching medium (English or  Chinese), then you probably don't fully understand and appreciate the teaching philosophy in international schools, the benefits of learning to learn, the importance of asking questions, the attitude towards academics as well as the depth of knowledge.  The mindset of international school children are way different from local school kids.   

Don't expect your child will learn good English just in those 2 years of kindergarten.  They should be able to pick up a lovely accent but that might be all.  They will become very "local", both verbally and mentally within months they start going to a local primary school.  I have seen so many examples of these kids, who lost their fluency in English within a year after tranferring to local schools.  Some even refused to speak English because all of their friends speak Cantonese in school.  So if your ultimate goal is attending a local school and adopting the intensive learning culture, I strongly advise you to put your child in a local kinder.   But of course, it's entirely up to you to decide.   

原帖由 KY_Lo 於 10-11-4 15:10 發表
我不重視學術,只重視雙語發展,就是這樣:   在家說中文,在外說英文, 就好像已移民去外國, 但要學好英文(包括文化),怎可能在香港人多的學校。我只會選國際學校, 但討論區的國際學校(小學、中學)許多已是80%為香港人的’國際學 ...

[ 本帖最後由 jjd 於 10-11-12 10:30 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題