教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 Marymount P.5 homework
發新帖
查看: 3878|回覆: 16
go

Marymount P.5 homework [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 12-3-19 21:44 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
本帖最後由 bebe135 於 12-3-27 22:24 編輯

I think that the homework nowadays were extremely unnecessary.
I don't mind my daughter doing lots of homework if she can learn out of it. I did those when I was young.

However, doing the same assignment unnecessarily 3 times is not acceptable. For example 1)1. prepare in mini sheet 2. do in work sheet 3. revise; Example 2) 1 draft a mindmap and type it on paper; 2 do it in a "mindmap" software 3 print it again and prepare for presentation. Why can't the girls just do it in the right media and present it once in the relevant lesson.  Why does the girl need to revisit the same assignment (nearly the whole week) 3 times?

We used to like the school, the way it teaches and treats the girls.
I am disappointed.

-----------------------------
P.S.:

The teacher is really perfect and response timely.

Thank her that the girls will just need to complete their composition at schools from now on.

0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 12-3-20 07:50 |只看該作者
追求完美的老師

3#
發表於 12-4-1 19:11 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bebe135 於 12-4-1 19:26 編輯

回復 bebe135 的帖子

Why does the perfect teacher change her mind so easily?

Apart from asking the students to submit the composition at school, now she ask them to do it  at home again and type it in MS word and submit again to compare the difference (what is the difference? What is the point?). Why does this teacher always ask the student to do the same assignments several times? They cannot just work on the assignments of her subjects.

My worries is: if there are other teachers know that she is doing these repetitive assignments and think it is a perfect way in teaching, then the MPS girls will suffer.

If there are many more these perfect teachers in the school, I can only pray for the poor girls.

4#
發表於 12-4-1 23:11 |只看該作者

回覆:Marymount P.5 homework

會唔會只係個別老師要求,有時都幾無奈。

5#
發表於 12-4-2 00:03 |只看該作者
maybe because the 85th anniversary is coming
maybe the teacher want them to do it nicely
so they can display the student's work

6#
發表於 12-4-14 16:28 |只看該作者
I am sure it's purely for presentation purposes. A bit waste of time for the girls, but face saving for the teacher.

7#
發表於 12-4-14 19:17 |只看該作者

回覆:bebe135 的帖子

I think it is a progress for learning
Doing by hand writing on paper allows the girls to think first. Make sure it is done by themselves.
Repeating it on computer is just to familiarize the computer function and skill on presentation.
Everything first doing it on computer actually reduce the language learning chance. U don't need to make the spelling and grammar as the computer will help u!

I ask my kids to learn the same at the very beginning and soon they will know how skip some procedures.

I think yr teacher is marvelous.

8#
發表於 12-4-15 18:30 |只看該作者
I agree with you that the first draft should be hand written, then typed out for hand in (whether done in class or at home). Any other steps in between is extra work (I think) unless the girls have nothing else to do...

9#
發表於 12-10-30 22:38 |只看該作者
中文作文都要謄文, what's the problem?

10#
發表於 12-11-10 17:16 |只看該作者

I disagree that p 5 students need to learn typing and using word processors

This is office skills not English skills.   And having a kid type up homework on computer is a really pointless idea.

Have you seen anyone bring a typewriter into university exam hall?  

However, revising compositions is essential to learning from errors.

Many kids who started to use word processors  for compositions at early age ended up not learning how to spell properly and rely heavily on spell check and grammar check functions

11#
發表於 12-11-10 17:17 |只看該作者

Kids should hand in handwritten homework. Not type written.  They are only kids. Not office ladies.

12#
發表於 12-11-11 19:31 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

13#
發表於 12-11-12 01:14 |只看該作者

引用://I+disagree+that+p+5+students+need+to

原帖由 Submarina2012 於 12-11-11 發表
//I disagree that p 5 students need to learn typing and using word processors//

今時今日,小學 ...
Sound like you are a teacher from Marymount but anyways I am only expressing my opinion here and will not be involved with a debate with you.

Suppose what you say is widely adopted by most schools in HK, I guess as a parent I could only live with it, but with much grief.

I myself grew up in the era when computers are used for speeding up work and data storage and communication and it is quite incredible to me that computers are now used to give us ADDITIONAL work and not less.

I used to hand in my lengthy grade 12 essays (note: essays not mere English compositions) using the computer.  And my formal typewriting skills were not acquired through retyping homework that was already done, but a formal optional keyboarding class in the regular curriculum.

Typing up things were an easy job for me. But imagine asking a P5 kid who doesnt know how to properly type to reproduce a piece of composition on the computer.  what good does it do to her except making her hunt each alphabet from the Qwerty keyboard one by one?

I had courses on computer too even back in my times.  Computer courses I had during my high school years were in computer programming with Pascal and C++.  These skills are still applied when I write Excel Macros even without VBA training .

Working on assignments using the computer to write programs were fun and interestingly challenging not tedious.

In sum, I do not support extensive use of computer for re-production of homework for Primary school students.   Doing so would only make learning stressful and mundane and eventually dries out the kids interest to learn and live a happy school life.  I believe this is the main concern 樓主 has

Also I would not think it wise to compare international school practices to traditional schools.  The former encourages students to learn to exploring, experiencing and inquiring while the latter conventionally teaches through lecturing.  International school kids are usually give more time to work on assignments and they have less pressure from weekly dictation etc.

Directly copying what works for international schools may not work for traditional schools.

Anyways it all depends in the teacher and the school.   Now that I know This about Marymount, I will make my own judgement.

14#
發表於 12-11-12 09:15 |只看該作者

15#
發表於 12-11-12 09:57 |只看該作者

Submarina2012. I am actually very glad that I responded to this thread as through this I have learnt a lot about primary schools nowadays.   

From what you have revealed about international school standards, I am really amazed at their curriculum (3 thousand plus words essays for year 3 students). I am literally in awe.  

Did you know about these things before deciding to and your child to international school?  

How did you like it?  You satisfied with it?

Personally I don't think traditional schools should copy international school practices    Mainly because traditional school students already have immense homework work load, frequent tests and exams and the assessment on their performance is more geared to test and exam results.  As a result, asking them to put in much time to type up homework (the complaint thread owner has) is really pointless.

If I were thread owner. I would much prefer traditional schools to stick to traditional methods.  If parents think the international school way of teaching is preferred, they should send kids to international schools then assuming money is not a concern.  But that is just me not representative of other parents.

16#
發表於 12-11-12 10:28 |只看該作者

17#
發表於 12-11-12 11:55 |只看該作者
Wow SUBMARINA的小朋友一定是質優的了、別説本地学校、就算是国際/英小的学生、都未能及上。 我的小朋友是P5、不過真係完全写不出文章。
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖