教育王國 討論區 資優教育 Program for the Gifted Children by CU
發新帖
查看: 3009|回覆: 14
go

Program for the Gifted Children by CU [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 07-5-8 11:54 |只看該作者

Program for the Gifted Children by CU

Has anyone joined the "rograms for the Gifted and Talented Children" organised by Chinese University before?  Is it good?  What is the admission rate?

My boy at year 5 plans to apply for the Summer Program in Maths.

Thank you for sharing.

2#
發表於 07-5-8 13:41 |只看該作者

Re: Program for the Gifted Children by CU

For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. (Dt 31:6)

3#
發表於 07-5-8 13:42 |只看該作者

For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. (Dt 31:6)

4#
發表於 07-5-8 13:44 |只看該作者

My boy is in yr. 5 too!  He has been joining the program since last summer.  Don't expect that it will give him a great leap forward but it does broaden his exposure.  He enjoys it and will join the Math course this summer.

I'm not sure about the admission rate.  First time applicant will normally be given an aptitude test.  They will admit those who pass the test, I suppose. School's recommendation is required.

5#
發表於 07-5-8 14:24 |只看該作者

Dear Gitmee,

Thank you for the information.

I've just got the school recommendation signed by school teacher, and I suppose I should enclose the IQ report.  Do I need to enclose a brief portfolio of any prizes he got so far (not many in fact)?

Is the aptitude test about IQ questions or self-assessment and self-evaluation questions?

Thank you for sharing.

6#
發表於 07-5-8 15:24 |只看該作者

Yes, the IQ test report will help.  Other than that, you also have to enclose the most recent school report of your child.  Other documents, I think, are optional.

According to my son, part of the aptitude test was a Junior Raven questionnaire (sort of IQ test), another part had something to do with self assessment.  No preparation needed.  Just take it easy.

All the best!

7#
發表於 07-5-8 15:31 |只看該作者

Dear Gitmee,

Thank you so much for your information.

8#
發表於 07-5-8 21:04 |只看該作者

Hello foolish.mom and gitmee,

Sorry for squeezing in you two, but it'd be really helpful if you could answer some of my questions about the program.
According to the service detail, they only cater for the children from primary 3 upwards. Are both of your children 5 years old, right? Are they eligible to join? Are your children actually attending P3 at the moment (which means they've skipped the grades...???) Doesn't it really matter the age, for as long as a child can display their ability to cope with the courses? Or is there any other courses catering for younger children? Do they conduct the courses in Chinese or in English?

I have a daughter of 4 and 8 months who seems to have shown the characteristics of the gifted (according to her past and current school teachers). But we haven't gotten her on any IQ test or assessment yet as it seems a little too early.... But if she ever has a chance to take part in, we'd like to consider the test first.
Would you mind giving me some information?

Thanks a million!

9#
發表於 07-5-8 22:23 |只看該作者

luluonthemoon,

I guess their kids are in Primary 5 now.
http://forum.baby-kingdom.com/viewthread.php?tid=1438375&extra=page%3D3

10#
發表於 07-5-9 09:02 |只看該作者

luluonthemoon,

Colourful is right.  My kid is now 10 years old and studying in year 5.  The program only provides courses for children from Primary 3 onwards.

You may consider taking your daughter to an IQ test, or, if you think it is too early, just give her more exposure on different areas, e.g. different languages, music, maths, etc.

11#
發表於 07-5-9 09:19 |只看該作者

luluonthemoon,

So is my kid.  He is 10 years old and in Primary 5.  

In my opinion, your daughter may be too young for the IQ test.  Foolish.mom is right, exposure is very important, especially for gifted children.  Be her gifted or not, just let her experience and explore this world and... give her lots and lots of love!

foolish.mom 寫道:
luluonthemoon,

Colourful is right.  My kid is now 10 years old and studying in year 5.  The program only provides courses for children from Primary 3 onwards.

You may consider taking your daughter to an IQ test, or, if you think it is too early, just give her more exposure on different areas, e.g. different languages, music, maths, etc.

12#
發表於 07-5-9 13:48 |只看該作者

All of you, thank you so much!!
Yes, it should be Year 5!! Oh, I must've spaced out last night.:cry::cry::cry:

What you have advised to me is the same as what an educational psychologist told me before and she was the one to ask us to wait for at least another year or so for IQ test.

May I ask some more questions about your gifted children? How did you actually find your children's gifted abilities and when? Are your children fitting in their regular schooling or may have felt unique from other students? Have you come across their emotional struggle? As I've heard that the gifted children are more likely sensitive, do you agree with that?

Let me do apologize to you two if these above may touch your privacy to make you feel uncomfortable. My child is just nearly 5 years old but her language ability and interest (not only English) is much higher than the age peers. Books are all time favorite for her and she reads by herself for an hour or more since she was 3 years and 7months. She also does like to hang out with much older ones like 8-10 years old, as she says it's a bit boring to stay with her classmates at school. She's also interested in ideas of how people come and go, like life and death. One day just browsing through a calendar has given her the idea of which month is the shortest or something like that. She loves to observe people and things, learn things quickly and keep them in mind quite long. It's really easy to teach her in a sense. But at the same time, we try not to put too much on her at once. Sometimes I stop and think if we've been leading her or treating her in the right way.... Maybe I'm worrying a bit too much about her emotional growth.

Thank you for your attention!!   

13#
發表於 07-5-9 21:24 |只看該作者

Dear luluonthemoon,

Please check PM.

gitmee

14#
發表於 07-5-10 18:27 |只看該作者

Dear luluonthemoon,

Please check PM.

foolish.mom

15#
發表於 07-5-10 21:40 |只看該作者

Dear gitmee and foolish.com,

It was so generous of you!!
I just can't thank you two enough for the sharing about your children.
I will get back to each of you respectively.

luluonthemoon
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖